Sunday, November 1, 2009

YWPWT: Masquerade Pie

Boo!

Did I scare you? Did I?

I didn't?!

Oh, come on...

So here's the theme for this month's You Want Pies With That challenge, brought to us by the deliciously creative minds of Mary at alpineberry and Jeanette of Jeanette's Mommy Musings.
You can conceal your pie's secret identity (with a robe of dark chocolate, maybe?) or disguise your pie as one thing when it's really something else (like a mock apple pie deceptively made with Ritz crackers instead of apples). You can use a mysterious, unusual or surprising ingredient in your pie or if you're more inclined to step out from behind the mask, you can reveal a secret recipe or technique.

I was really not sure what to do for this pie. My pie has a secret identity? What is it? And why isn't telling me what it's supposed to be dammit!! My head was twirling with all the possibilities the pie could be, and not be. I ended up with a pie actually wearing a costume, thus wearing a mask. It's also hiding a secret filling/crust combo and using an unusual/surprising ingredient. So I guess being confused made me take all the guidelines and suggestions for this pie and put them to use. I think that my result is hauntingly delicious and frighteningly adorable. I hope you like it too.

Ghostly Good Pie

Isn't it Boo-Tiful?

1) Crust

Ingredients:
GF Brownie Mix or GF Brownie Recipe

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a deep dish pie plate.
Prepare mix or recipe as directed and spread into pie plate, shaping into a crust.
Bake for 15-25 minutes.
Set aside and cool.

2) Filling

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh or frozen (defrosted) strawberries, hulled and cut in half length-wise.
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbs cornstarch

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over high heat.
Bring to a boil while shmushing the strawberries down. (yes, shmushing is a technical term)
Simmer and stir for 2-5 more minutes until nice and gelled together.
Pour over crust and set aside to cool.

3) Ghost Face Mask

Ingredients:
Fondant, pre-bought or homemade (tons of recipes online)

Directions:
Roll out white fondant and cut into a circular shape to cover your pie.
Cut out a cute ghost face.
Carefully lay the fondant on top of the cooled filling.
Make a cute pinched skirt for the ghost face to make it look like its floating through the air.
Admire how adorable your pie is!

So from looking at my ghost face pie, can you tell it's hiding a chocolate brownie crust? Can you tell that my ghost is hiding a secret evil interior (aka red strawberry filling)? Can you tell that I used fondant which defies all logic when pie-making since fondant is typically a cake and candy accoutrement? Can you tell that my pie is in fact a pie and not a ghost?

Most of all though, can you tell that my pie is allergy friendly? Nope, you can't! Because it tastes like awesome pie, gluten and soy be damned!!

Please check out what the other A-MAZ-ING bloggers did here.


**Note, apparently this is a pie far cuter than it is tasty. The filling/crust combo is great, but I think there's a reason we don't eat fondant with pie hehe. Just being honest if you're trying this at home!

3 comments: