Sunday, December 7, 2008

An Apple A Day Keeps Me Wanting More Apples

I can't believe another week has gone by so quickly! I've been so stressed and so busy lately that on Friday the last thing I wanted to do was imagine what I was going to concoct this weekend for dinner. Then at around 3pm or so, I got a craving or two which leads me to this week's dessert.

Sweet tooth. It's a person with a penchant for sweets. And oh man, do I have a sweet tooth! But alas, on a low oxalate diet, you are urged to stay away from those pesky granular and complex sugars. So what could I make to satisfy my I have to eat something sweet or I may die feeling (okay, a bit melodramatic I admit)...

I give you the easiest dessert you will ever make that will always leave a smile on your face:


Apple Crisp


Ingredients:

5 small gala apples, peeled, quartered and chopped up
1/4 cup agave
1 tsp cinnamon
3 or 4 handfuls of cornflakes (I use gluten free, of course)
butter


Directions:

(pre-baked, dotted with butter)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Take the chopped apples and toss with the agave.
Add 1 tsp of cinnamon and stir until evenly coated.
Grease a 8x8 or 9x9 square dish with butter.
Pour the apple mixture into pan.
Dot apple mixture with butter.
Take handfulls of cornflakes and crush in your hand while sprinkling over the apples.
Bake covered for 40-45 minutes.
Remove cover and bake for 5 more minutes.
Serve up this sucker with some low-fat vanilla ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment