Sunday, November 30, 2008

Soup? We're doing Soup?

As any good American on Thanksgiving weekend, I decided to clean-up my DVR. A highlight of my TV sweep was this past week's Top Chef on Bravo. If you've never watched the show, I must say I'm ashamed to semi-know you, but I digress. This week's quickfire challenge ended up with the chefs making soups, and it got me thinking, mmmmmm soup (my mind isn't always that complicated.)

So on my weekly shopping trip, I decided to pick-up the fixins for some basic, delicious liquid joy. I'm very happy with how everything turned out in the end, so here it is:

Butternut Squash Soup
Ingredients:
1 lb butternut squash, cut into chunks
1 small leek stem, cut*
32 oz. of preferred broth (I use organic chicken broth)
1 tsp salt, divided 1/2 and 1/2
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup half & half
pat of butter

* leeks are NOT low in oxalate. I only use the small white stem of the leek for a little flavor. If you are completely eliminating oxalate, use 1/4 of a small white onion diced.

Directions:
Melt a pat of butter in an 8 quart pot.
Add the squash and saute for a few minutes.
Add the leek/onion and saute for a few more minutes.
Add the broth and bring to a boil.
Add half the salt and all of the pepper.
Reduce to a simmer and cover.
Let the soup sit simmering for about 2 hours until the squash is mushy.
Pour the soup into a blender and puree just until smooth.
Put into large serving bowl and add the half & half and the rest of the salt and stir.

Listen, I know what you're thinking: let the soup simmer for 2 hours? But while the squash cooks down and melts into the broth it creates an awesome incorporation of flavor. If you prefer you can absolutely puree at the first sign of softness, but I'm telling you, good flavors do come to those who wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment